The 1883 List of Pensioners on the Roll is the leading resource for researching your Civil War and War of 1812 era pension records.
On December 8, 1882, the U.S. Senate required the Secretary of Interior to submit a list of pensioners on the roll as of January 1, 1883. The Secretary of Interior submitted the completed list to the Senate on March 1, 1883, and was published that year in five volumes as "List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883."
The 1883 Pensioners on the Roll includes the name of each pensioner, the cause for which pensioned, the Post Office address, the rate of pension per month, and the date of original allowance.
The contents of each volume is as follows:
- Volume I - Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, and District of Columbia.
- Volume 2 - New York, and Pennsylvania.
- Volume 3 - Ohio, Illinois, and Iowa.
- Volume 4 - Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, California, Oregon, Nevada, Indian Territory (Oklahoma), Dakota Territory (North and South Dakota), New Mexico Territory, Montana Territory, Washington Territory, Idaho Territory, Utah Territory, Arizona Territory, Alaska Territory, Wyoming Territory.
- Volume 5 - Delaware, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, and foreign countries.
Much of the 1883 List of Pensioners on the Roll is now transcribed and online free of charge.